Subscribe by email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Saturday, May 29, 2010

Captain of My Soul

First, the disclaimer -- I am not a sports fan of any flavor and when I see an inspiring sports story, I love it! Just watched "Invictus" - read the synopsis on the movie site to get the story. The main piece that hit me was the poem by William Ernest Henley, whowrote it from his hospital bed. His indomitable spirit led him to triumph over the amputation of his leg. This poem was an inspiration for Nelson Mandela and I am grateful for the movie to make me aware of these powerful words.

INVICTUS

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul

Wow! The power to believe in change. The power to believe the impossible is possible. The power to stay the course despite the odds. The power to believe in one self.

I highly encourage you to watch the film if you haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment